We were lucky enough to attend the opening day of LEGO Kidsfest yesterday. The event is sold out so unless you have tickets you are out of luck, they are not selling any at the door.
All I can say is WOW! It is by far the best organized event I have ever seen. So much for the kids to do and lots of wide open space for crowds to move around.
Here are my tips if you are attending:
1) You can't bring in outside food and drinks, although they did allow water bottles. Be prepared to wait in lines for the food stations. Basically if you see a short line and are nearing break time, get in line! If you don't it will inevitably be 10x longer when you return. But unlike other events you may have attended at the BMO there are lots of tables and places to sit and eat. You likely could settle your kids at a table while you waited in line to get food.
Grady made a Calgary tower to add to Creation Nation, it was getting pretty crazy in there by the time we left. People were building HUGE structures
2) Be prepared for lots of waiting, the lines are long but the move fast. There are several stops that have line ups: Challenge Zone, LEGO Mindstorms, LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Master Builder Academy, LEGO Relay Race and LEGO Friends. Basically these lines just help people move through the activity without having to push for a space at the table. I thought the lines were well organized and moved quite quickly.
Grady made his own Mixel to add to the display case. His is the one at the top of the frame.
3) Know your must-stop places and make sure you get to them first. I really thought there was no way we would spend hours there but we arrived at 3 pm and didn't leave until 7:30! So plan to spend a day, and you still may not see it all depending on how long you stay at each station.
Grady's addition to LEGO City, he made a park.
4) Skip the store, if you are looking for deals there are none to be had. But you can find hard-find sets and ones that are only available online. It is a very busy place and a lot of the floor space is taken up by the line up for the tills. I didn't see anything at the store that was not available online.
5) Keep track of your kids. It is a busy place with lots and lots of kids. I like to take a picture of Grady before we attend a busy place so should he go missing I have something to show exactly what he looks like and is wearing. They have a "Lost Parents" booth and I would say there was an announcement at least every 10 minutes looking for kids so it can be easy to get separated. Make sure to point out the booth to your kids.
Grady and Wildstyle
6) Have fun! Remember that it is supposed to be a fun time so try not to stress about how much time is spent at a table of "stuff you could play with at home"